The Peterborough Century 21 Lakers are across the country right now as they prepare for the Mann Cup in Victoria, BC, but for one Laker the trip is a kind of homecoming.
“First and foremost, I’m looking forward to competing for a Mann Cup,” said forward Corey Small. “Aside from that, it will be nice to be back to a place I called home for a huge portion of my life.”
Small was a member of the Victoria Shamrocks when the Lakers lost the Mann Cup in 2015. In fact, he was the series’ MVP. He was a Shamrock for seven years, electing to move home to Ontario last year. The Lakers acquired his rights from the Cobourg Kodiaks and he’s been an invaluable member of their left side ever since.
This is the first time he’s been back to the island.
“I’ve always considered Victoria to be the Peterborough of the WLA,” he said. “They are very similar lacrosse markets. They draw great crowds to all their games, the fans are passionate and knowledgeable, but like any other fan base they can be hostile towards the opposing team! I don’t expect to be an exception to the rule.”
While the Lakers will be focused on the Mann Cup, fans attending will have lots of time to sightsee in one of Canada’s most historic and beautiful places.
Here are Small’s top five things to see and do while in British Columbia’s capital.
1. Take in the nature and beauty of Victoria. My wife and I would always spend time with our dogs at Witty’s Lagoon, Dallas Road Park, Goldstream Park, hike Mount Finlayson, hike at the Sooke Potholes, Thetis Lake, Langford Lake, The Quarry, etc. There are endless things to enjoy outdoors that are unique to being on the Island!
2. Butchart Gardens – They do an incredible firework show every Saturday night during the Summer. (Unfortunately, I think we missed the last one by a couple days.) Super meaningful place to my wife and I, this is where I proposed to Lauren!
3. Downtown Victoria/Inner Harbour – Just a cool place to be with a lot of shopping and great places to eat. Some of my favourites are: Il Terrazzo, The Tapa Bar, Red Fish Blue Fish, The Fisherman’s Wharf. These are all places Laur and I use to go together and with family when they came out to visit.
4. Whale Watching – This was the very first tourist thing we did with family when they came out to visit. It was a fun experience! Growing up around Lake Ontario, none of us had obviously ever seen whales before. They put you on a boat, send you out of the Inner Harbour Downtown Victoria with a tour guide and you get to follow pods of Whales around.
5. Golf – Maybe a little biased because I love golf, but they have some great course with incredible scenery and views. Olympic View and Highland Pacific have incredible views of the Olympic Mountains. Bear Mountain Resort – has incredible views, there is one par 3 you play at the top of the Mountain and overlooks the entire City of Victoria and Inner Harbour, as well as the Olympic Mountains.